Six Poems for Solo Bassoon (2019)
For Solo Bassoon
This piece was written for decorated bassoonist Adrian Jojatu
This piece has not been premiered as a full collection.
Contact The Rogler Collection directly to inquire about rental and performance.
1. With Ships the Sea Was Sprinkled Far and Nigh (poem by William Wordsworth)
2. The Young May Moon (poem by Thomas Moore)
3. Sonnet 154, The Little Love God (poem by William Shakespeare)
4. The Old Oaken Bucket (poem by Samuel Woodworth)
5. Mist (poem by Henry David Thoreau)
6. To Night (poem by Percy Bysshe Shelley)
Being a starving artist, Robert Rogler does not own a car and uses a bicycle to get around. This requires him to frequent bicycle shops for repairs and purchases. At one shop, the owner told Robert that his repairs would take longer than usual because he was going to perform a bassoon concerto with the National Radio Orchestra in Bucharest, Romania.
The conversation turned to music, and finding out that Robert Rogler was a composer, the shop owner, Adrian Jojatu, asked Robert if he would be willing to write a couple of solo bassoon pieces that he could use as encores after his performances. Robert wrote him six. Today, Adrian Jojatu is a bassoonist with the Boston Philharmonic Orchestra – and he still owns his bike shop, Adi's Bike World in West Roxbury, Massachusetts.